Monday, September 22, 2014

Chrysanthemum

At the start of the school year we have name week. It gives the me and the students a chance to learn each others names. I read the book Chrysanthemum. For those of you that do not know this book, it is about a mouse who thinks her name is just perfect until she goes to school and is made fun of for her long name. After I read to them, my students and I discuss the importance of being proud of who they are and how important their names are to who they are.

The students fill out the "My Name is special" worksheet about their name. As they fill them out, I work on finding what their name means. In the past, I have already done this at the time that we do the worksheet, and I hand them their meaning on a sticky note. Many kids already know what their name means, and I just confirm it. 



Here, you can get an updated version of this worksheet for free on my TPT store.

We also created wonderful little mice that you can find at First Grade Wow. My kids had a great time learning all about their names and doing this fun craft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment