Monday, October 5, 2015

Apple Season

Fall is my favorite season. I love all of the themes that go along with fall. Teaching about apples and Johnny Appleseed is always a highlight. This year was no different.

This year I worked on adjectives with my students. Each student had to say one adjective even if it was the same as another student's word. This helped my English language learners participate in the activity. After we put out apples on our tree, we wrote apple 5 sense poems.


We read many books on Johnny Appleseed and learned so much. By the time we were done, the students were able to write an entire paragraph about him. I kept it a traditional expository paragraph with a introduction sentence, three details, and a conclusion sentence.


We are currently working on opinion writing. I had the students taste three types of apples. They then voted and wrote a small opinion piece about their favorite apple.



Apple tie die art is so easy.

Step 1: Have students color with market on a coffee filter
Step 2: Spray coffee filter with water using a spray bottle
Step 3: Let the coffee filter sit and dry

The marker will bleed together. After this, I used an apple template to make the frame. I taught the students how to cut out the middle by folding the apple in half and cutting out the inside. They make the perfect window design!



There is so much that can be done with apples. I also held apple stations where the students measured, weighed, floated, and cut apples in different ways. It met some math and science standards. After the students were done, we cut up all the apples and made apple sauce using the crockpot! Mmmm Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment