Thursday, January 29, 2015

Being Big

Today, my Project Cornerstone moms came to read to my class and teach a lesson. Project Cornerstone is a program ran by the YMCA that helps promote a great classroom and school community. It allows parents to be a support system for optimal physical, mental and emotional development. During this month's Project Cornerstone lesson, my class was asked what it means to "BE BIG". "Being Big" is treating yourself and others with respect. They use the words "being big" because children always want to be bigger and older and more mature. They also use these words because big kids are supposed to treat themselves and others with respect.  I love the idea of "Being Big", I use these words all of the time when students need to be respectful to me, themselves, and others. They are learning what it means to grow up. Growing up does not just mean getting older, moving grades or getting taller and stronger. It also comes with mental and emotional responsibilities. As any supportive adult in a child's life, I want my students to grow into kind, generous, and honorable young adults and adults. I love that my school has amazing parents that want to be involved in their child's life and the lives of all of the children in their child's class. These parents understand the importance of teaching kids ways to respect themselves and others. Behaviors need to be taught. Children need to watch and learn from adults that they trust. This is why Project Cornerstone is so important. If you see a Project Cornerstone parent around school, stop and thank them. They are helping to guide your child toward being comfortable and confident with who they are and making choices that reflect this attitude.
Room 8 is learning how to be big. These are all of the pledges that my students made to help them be big in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment